[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

Paul E Condon put forth on 10/5/2009 12:18 PM:
> Years ago (~35y), I spent a lot of money to get a really good sound
> system to play my CDs. It was fully transistorized. The loud speakers
> are big, with woofer, mid-range and tweeter, and are driven by a
> really heavy power amplifier box. Because of the solid-state
> internals, it has worked without interruption or servicing of any
> kind. 


Sounds like it's time for you to build a media center PC


or (possibly better) buy one pre-built:


DISCLAIMER:  I am not promoting this D-Link product.  I have no first
hand experience with it.  I mention it strictly as an example of a class
of products that would fulfill your needs.

It has wireless ethernet so you don't have to call a contractor to run
CAT5 through your house.  It has both optical digital and coaxial
digital audio outputs for connecting directly to your modern A/V
receiver's digital audio inputs.  This will eliminate any sound quality
issues related to cheap PC sound card problems.

This D-Link requires a host PC on the network running Vista or XP SP2.
I assume they have a software package one installs on the PC to control
the D-Link and setup shares for the media file directories, etc.

If you search around, you can probably find a similar product that would
allow you to use Linux instead of Windows (i.e. one with a web based
management interface with no software requirement on the PC).  I'm
guessing all you will find is products offering support for total media
entertainment, not just CD/MP3/audio.  You're a smart guy.  You'll
figure out what product/solution is best for your needs.

The cheapest solution by far is to use your current PC, and have a
contractor come in and run an in wall digital optical cable from the
room your PC is in to the room your A/V receiver is in.  Plug a Toslink
patch cable from the wall to the PC, and from the wall to the A/V
receiver and you're done.  If you go this route you'll need a PC
hardware solution with a digital audio output (Toslink connection).

Good luck.



Reply to: