Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

>I have been mulling over the same kinds of problems for some time
>also.  Noone in this thread has yet mentioned the Logitech Slingbox:
>http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/&cl=us,en
>Has anyone used this, and if so, does it fit the bill for high end
>audio performance, as claimed?  I've no reason to think it doesn't,
>I'd just like to hear from someone who has actually used it.

I have a Squeezebox (Classic) at my house streaming music wirelessly from an old HP desktop box running Lenny.  24 bit Burr Brown DAC, can run off of LAN or WLAN.  If you have your music encoded using FLAC or Wavepack, among other formats, it can play it natively.  Had it for 2+ years, couldn't be happier.  There used to be a trick that required you to install the "faad" package in Lenny and change some code to get iTunes formats (.mp4, .m4a, .m4p) to play but the latest software update fixed it where those files are supported natively now.  The only downside is Logitech bought out SlimDevices, so I worry about the the open source nature of the firmware/server software's future.  I personally love the Wake On Lan capabilities, that boots my Lenny machine from across the house using the Squeezebox remote.  I run an Onkyo amp with Klipsch speakers and the sound is phenomenal and true to the original recordings.

The only limitation using my setup comes from music files using compressed formats, but virtually all of my songs hover around the 160-192 kbps range so they are transparent when comparing to the originals.  You can actually get away with lower bitrates using the most modern mp3 LAME codec, but my songs were encoded several years ago.  :)

Mark

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Martin J. Hillyer <mlhillyer@comcast.net> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 11:18:10AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> Years ago (~35y), I spent a lot of money to get a really good sound
> system to play my CDs. It was fully transistorized. The loud speakers
> are big, with woofer, mid-range and tweeter, and are driven by a
> really heavy power amplifier box. Because of the solid-state
> internals, it has worked without interruption or servicing of any
> kind.

[snip]

> Please, help with this perplexity.
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

I have been mulling over the same kinds of problems for some time
also.  Noone in this thread has yet mentioned the Logitech Slingbox:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/&cl=us,en

Has anyone used this, and if so, does it fit the bill for high end
audio performance, as claimed?  I've no reason to think it doesn't,
I'd just like to hear from someone who has actually used it.

P.S.  My apologies to Mr Condon for sending this to his return address;
I stupidly hit reply instead of group-reply.

--
Martin Hillyer