Re: How to compile and install the kernel

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:18:33 +0500
surreal <firewalrus@gmail.com> wrote:

> This might seem lame but still, I would like to know about compiling a
> custom kernel using debian lenny.
>
> the usual /usr/src/linux-2.6.N/make menuconfig;make ;make
> modules_install;make bzImage;make install dosent seem to work.
>
> It only copies vmlinux* and bzImage file into /boot, but initrd and
> img files are missing..
>
> why? The above method used to work perfectly in RH derived distros, in
> debian it seems diff...

The kernel install scripts merely install the kernel; they don't create
initrds.  For that, you need a separate tool; the standard on Debian is
initramfs-tools.  Make sure that it's installed, and check out 'man
update-initramfs'.  And as someone else points out, the Debian Way is
to use kernel-package.

> How to provide a kernel a specific name?

In the kernel config, there's an 'append to kernel' string that you can
set, and there's also a revision string you can set when using
kernel-package.  There are probably other things you can do, too.

Celejar