Re: Lenny is acting screwing after alsa sourcecode install

Hello,

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 15:57 -0500, Laurin d'Volts wrote:
> I'm using Lenny stable.
> Linux debian 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 06:34:05 UTC 2009
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> The boot process is hanging on cupsd.

Keep in mind that the log files usually displays the action that are
completed (either successful of failed). So if you see
 "Starting Common Unix Printing System..."
It probably means that the boot stucked in one of the next steps.

You can run "ls -1 /etc/rc2.d/" to list the init script, and find out
which scripts are run after CUPS in runlevel 2.

> After logging into a user after GDM I get something like this:
>
> FAILED TO INITIALIZE HAL!

HAL is started much before gdm. Check for errors in your boot logs.

> and then it won't give me my networkmanager icon.
> I had to root terminal a dhclient command to get online.

No hal => no Network-manager ;)

> Following are the things I did to install alsa. I know that these were
> out of date. I didn't notice at first. I guess that screwed up my
> system, and hopefully someone will know how to fix this.
>
> I did as said in this section: Update to the Latest Version of ALSA
> - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
>
> As I said before, I did it as that website said. I did not do it as the
> website it referenced.

Debian isn't Ubuntu, and vice-versa.
Don't blindly apply solution for the one to the other (the same way that
you shouldn't blindly apply "solution" for Debian Etch on Debian Lenny)

> Once I noticed I did something out of date, it was too late.

The Alsa stuffs you installed have broken HAL...

Revert you changes... then ask for help about your initial sound
problem.

> I think I'll install Sid next time if I want the sound card working.

Keep in mind that Sid is also known as "Unstable" => untested/new
versions of packages are entering that repository every day. Releasing a
distribution as "stable" involves spending months fixing those new bugs.