Lenny is acting screwing after alsa sourcecode install

I'm using Lenny stable.
Linux debian 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 06:34:05 UTC 2009
i686 GNU/Linux

The boot process is hanging on cupsd.
After logging into a user after GDM I get something like this:

FAILED TO INITIALIZE HAL!

and then it won't give me my networkmanager icon.
I had to root terminal a dhclient command to get online.

Following are the things I did to install alsa. I know that these were
out of date. I didn't notice at first. I guess that screwed up my
system, and hopefully someone will know how to fix this.

I did as said in this section: Update to the Latest Version of ALSA
- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

As I said before, I did it as that website said. I did not do it as the
website it referenced. Once I noticed I did something out of date, it
was too late.

After a reboot, it goes to the boot screen and hangs at cupsd.
I don't know why it's doing this, but that really sucks.

I did a boot with single-user mode and typed in the root password. I
then typed GDM, which allowed me to get into GDM. A regular boot would
hang at cupsd. I didn't wait forever to see if the regular boot would
get past cupsd.

The gdm will lead to that "failed to initialize hal!" thing.
Otherwise, it seems like my system is working somewhat decent; however,
I want that boot process fixed. And perhaps revert some stuff so this
computer won't seem screwy again.

I think I'll install Sid next time if I want the sound card working.