logging out fails in KDE4 (debian testing)

After updating to the latest versions of packages of debian testing
about 2-3 days ago, I noticed that the log out function has stopped
working. It plays the log out sound, and then a black console screen,
and absolutely no response to any combination of keys (ctrl-alt-del,
ctrl-alt-f{1-5}). But it is not frozen, because if I press the on/off
button of the laptop, it begins the shutdown process.

Does this happen to anybody else? Should I report it as a bug?
I googled it and found several references of the problem, although old
(around April 2009).

Cheers,
G.