Re: configuring xserver

On 2009-09-24_22:49:04, Adrian Levi wrote:
> 2009/9/24 Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
> > I just purchased a small LCD monitor. It is 16:9 format and 1366x768.
> > I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> > and that program set up the driver for 1024x768, so naturely the letters
> > and graphics were stretched out horizontally. 1366x768 is not an option
> > offered by Gnome preferences screen-resolution. What is the Debian way
> > to deal with this? What should I read?
>
> You might like to look into configuring yourself a modeline to tell
> the xserver what the hardware is capable of if it's not automatically
> detected.
>
> Adrian

Yes. That is what I want to do. Where are the current modelines stored?
Somewhere in /etc I suppose, but there is a lot of stuff in /etc that
is automatically overwritten. I'd like to put my mode line in a place
that is considered authoritative by the Debian/GNU/Xwindows/Linux system.
And I'd like to use correct syntax for my modelines to that they are properly
understood by whatever is designed to read modelines.

I wouldn't mind reading some documents that explain what is going on, but
I doubt that I will remember whatever I might learn, especially if it
doesn't actually lead to my successfully configuring this monitor.

Thanks for the clue that what I need is 'a modeline'. Words matter, especially
if you can't remember the ones that are used in the index to life.
I'll go Google modeline.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net