Re: setup a local ntp server on debian

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM,  <gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:58:59PM -0500, Israel Garcia wrote:
>> We've been increasing in numbers of debian lenny servers and they has
>> a cron.hourly as follow:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u swisstime.ethz.ch

There are a number of issues with setting the clock this way.  I
won't  bother to list them, it's enought to say that this is vary
unlikely tobe safe.

ntpdate has been replaced with running ntpd with a flag that makes it
act like ntpdate.  Setting the clock  spontaniously, I.E.   via
cron, can  cause devide by   zero errors in applications making  /s
calcuations(where s1 ==  s2 when  x  = d1 - d2 /  s1 - s2).  You can
also have warnings in applicatiions that compair  time  stamps, like
tar's this file's time is in the future.

The correct way to set the clock with ntp is to run ntpd as a daemon,
question #3  below.   If you wish you can have ntpd maintain a drift
file for use when there are no time sources(other then the system's
clock) avalible.  It may also  be  possible, although  not  positivly
safe,to run ntpd for a few  hours(8  to 20) every weekend  to adjust
the clock.  Every hour or day  is  to  small  a time  to adjust  the
clock reasonably,  even if you did  descide to run it 4 hours every
day... why  bother to disable it the other 20 hours, %80 of  the time?