Re: setup a local ntp server on debian

On Wednesday 23 September 2009 14:58:59 Israel Garcia wrote:
> 1. Which do you suggest to use? openntpd or ntp server?

I prefer openntpd.  The other ntpd is more feature-rich and is a more recent
protocol version, so it might be better though.

> 2. Can I setup redundancy with any of them?

Redundancy is sort of built into the ntp protocol.  If you configure all the
clients with all the servers, they will automatically use whichever one(s) are
up.

You can prevent having to reconfigure clients when a new server is added by
using a "servers" line in openntpd with a host name and then adding multiple A
records to that host name.  On startup it gets all the IP addresses associated
with that name and handles it as if they were each listed with a "server"
line.

> 3. What client should I use to synchronize other boxes clock? ntpdate
> command  or ntp daemon client?

I prefer the daemon.  It's not for any real reason I can think of, although I
suppose it might level the load against the servers a bit because you won't
have the clients requesting new timestamps all at once.

> 4. Should I use a local NTP or do you suggest all client synchronize
> to an external server?

If you have a large number of clients, you should probably have 1-3 servers
that synchronize off the pool and have your internal clients synchronize off
of them.  That should save "external" bandwidth (good for you) and reduce the
load on the pool (good for others).

My configurations:
rei: (openntpd)
listen on *
servers us.pool.ntp.org

ichi: (openntpd)
server rei

monster: (openntpd)
servers us.pool.ntp.org

[rei's firewall doesn't allow external connections to the ntp daemon, only
from ichi.]