Re: Tools for users to easily switch between several defined network configs.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:50:58PM +0000, Ryan Braun wrote:
> Hey guys,  I'm looking for a tool that could easily allow users to switch
> between several static network configs and even a ppp connection.  Basically
> a laptop travelling to several different sites that we don't want to setup
> with dhcp.  I would rather have the user select the site specifically.  We
> are running a combination of etch/lenny with only kde as the desktop
> environment.
>
> I've just started to play with network-manager-kde,  but I'm not sure how to
> define other wired networks,  it just wants to find a dhcp server and auto
> config with that.  In a perfect world,  I would be able to define several
> networks,  have the user click on the network manager applet and select the
> appropriate network they would like to connect with.
>
> Is that functionality available in network manager?  It seems more wireless
> orientated which is something I don't need currently.  All networks will be
> wired.

ifupdown can do this from command line.

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

This is a little too much for most of us. (I wrote these.)

Lenny vaesion of wicd or network-manager may be not good enough.  You
may wish to install these from backport.org.    This is more realistic
solution.

Osamu