Re: Tools for users to easily switch between several defined network configs.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Ryan Braun <the.truck204@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,  I'm looking for a tool that could easily allow users to switch
> between several static network configs and even a ppp connection.  Basically
> a laptop travelling to several different sites that we don't want to setup
> with dhcp.  I would rather have the user select the site specifically.  We
> are running a combination of etch/lenny with only kde as the desktop
> environment.
>
> I've just started to play with network-manager-kde,  but I'm not sure how to
> define other wired networks,  it just wants to find a dhcp server and auto
> config with that.  In a perfect world,  I would be able to define several
> networks,  have the user click on the network manager applet and select the
> appropriate network they would like to connect with.
>
> Is that functionality available in network manager?  It seems more wireless
> orientated which is something I don't need currently.  All networks will be
> wired.
>
> Thanks

There is wicd.  It can do what you want, except for the dialup support
(not implemented yet, but keep reading).  It is somewhat similar in
concept to NetworkManager, but seems much more mature/stable.  You can
create and manually choose a connection.  It has gtk and console
(ncurses?) management interfaces.

Wicd does however have the ability to run scripts before and after
network interface up/down events.  It may be possible to to raise and
lower the ppp connection as needed via a script, and have wicd manage
a dummy eth interface.  I've not tried this, but it seems like it
could work.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

--
Noah Dain