Re: keep a packages daemon from adding to rc.d etc, on upgrade

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 10:23:07AM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> Hiya
>
> Would anyone know how to keep a packages daemon from adding to rc.d
> etc, on upgrade, thats after I ran update.rcd package remove.
>
> Im using heartbeat with LVS (ldirector). For my setup, a while ago,
> I did an update.rcd ldirector remove, but when a release from debian
> stable was released, naturally it got reactived.  I need to keep
> this from running, and let heartbeat manage it.
>
> I thought I could use dpkg-statoverride, but Im not to sure of whats
> the correct method.
>
> If anyone help me, it would be appreciated.

The way I do is to force a stop config at all runlevels for theses
services. If they have a config, it will not be overwritten on upgrade.

Something like :
# update-rc.d -f ldirector remove
This, you have done, but also :

# update-rc.d ldirector stop 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 .

I'v read other means, dealing with policy-rc.d, but I don't
remember clearly what to do.