Re: OT: Re: There is no planet B

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:04:40 +1200
> sam blackmore <signon@greenpeace.org.nz> wrote:
>
>> Yup this is a mail bomb - sign on with Greenpeace to help stop
>> climate change. You'll win a planet!

> You can't stop cyclical stages (please, no more global warming or
> climate change terms when in fact it would be correct to use something
> like cyclical change or stages).
>
> The earth cools, goes through ice ages (as it has many, many times
> before - and will continue to do) - then heats up again (as it has many,
> many times before - and will continue to do) and ends ice ages and
> everything gets greens and happy again.
>
> You are  simply silly to think that mankind can do more damage than
> Mother Earth herself can do so much quicker, efficiently, and will
> continue to do all on her own at any one time...
>
> Visa-Vie droughts, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics,
> pole shifting, etc.
>
> I'm waiting for these types to tell us that volcanism, plate tectonics
> and pole shifting is also brought on be mankind. When that happens,
> then I'll believe in human induced global warming...

Now let's be constructive.  Instead of blaming or punishing humans for
their faults as a way of collecting political power we should be
applying positive behavior modification to motivate constructive
action as follows:

"Of course vulcanism, plate tectonics, and pole shifting are the fault
of humans.  In fact sunspots, the 3% variability in the solar output,
the frequency of asteroidal and cometary impacts, and all gamma-ray
bursts within 1K light years of the star Solaris are also the fault of
humans because so far humans failed to do anything to protect the
planet from those disasters."

     -- from an up-coming Scientific American /r/a/n/t/ article by
Tsipsis and Sachs.

The only question really worth debating is how much responsibility we
should accept for the historical destruction of the eco-sphere.  Is it
enough to simply stop the present harmful activity or do we have to
undo the past damage?  And how far back should we look?

If we want to stop the ice ages we have to restore the planet to a
time about 5.5e8 BC when the great oxygenation event destroyed the
greenhouse gasses that were stabilizing the climate.  That caused the
first ice age and contributed to the following ones.

But if we really want a complete restoration we have to go back about
2.5e9 BC to the time before early biological activity first oxygenated
the atmosphere and destroyed the iron-dominated ecology of the oceans.
 All we have left of that ecology is thousands of square miles of
banded iron formations (BIF), which /s/e/e/ google.

Clearly oxygen is the culprit.  When it appears with DHMO then watch out.

Biological activity caused all of those damaging changes.  Many people
think we should fix that.

I ain't one of 'em.

Lee Winter
NP Engineering