Re: Apache Tomcat & WebServer on Lenny

Hi, Roger:

On Friday 18 September 2009 14:48:32 RogerV wrote:
> Is there anything "different" needed to configure Tomcat to work behind
> Apache webserver under Debian

Not that I'm aware off.

> as opposed to say OpenSuse or Windows. I've
> been fighting this all day and Apache flatly refuses to forward URL's to
> tomcat and instead look for all urls at /var/www. All the relevant config
> files are found by Apache, mod_jk is loaded but still no joy. If I use port
> 8080 to go straight to Tomcat the app loads, so Tomcat is fine and I've
> flat run out of ideas.

Let's see...

You install mod_jk package (libapache2-mod-jk).

Just in case, have a look at its config file
(/etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties).

You make sure Tomcat runs the ajp connector (the "Define a Coyote/JK2
Connector" section on /etc/tomcat5/server.xml).

Then you "bind" your apache fronted to your tomcat app through the proper
connector through a JKMount directive, like
JKMount /mywebapp ajp13

And then have a look both at the tomcat startup logs under /var/log/tomcat5/
and those from Apache under /var/log/apache2/ at startup and when trying to
access your webapp through the handler.

Barring this, any other error would be one the the "usual" non-distribution
specific problems between apache and tomcat (mismatching configurations,
problems defining valves/connectors on tomcat, etc.)