Apache Tomcat & WebServer on Lenny

Is there anything "different" needed to configure Tomcat to work behind
Apache webserver under Debian, as opposed to say OpenSuse or Windows. I've
been fighting this all day and Apache flatly refuses to forward URL's to
tomcat and instead look for all urls at /var/www. All the relevant config
files are found by Apache, mod_jk is loaded but still no joy. If I use port
8080 to go straight to Tomcat the app loads, so Tomcat is fine and I've flat
run out of ideas.

Regards