Re: Why can't I install skype on debian?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. a écrit :
> In <[🔎] h8v7gk$d05$2@ger.gmane.org>, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>> thveillon.debian wrote:
>>> It's offered as an install option, at least it was the last time I
>>> installed from a testing netinstall image.
>>> Of course Ubuntu did a neat job advertising sudo, it's spreading all
>>> over (and it's great, it's a nice tool in a multiuser environment, just
>>> doesn't make sens the way Ubuntu uses it...).
>> guys ubuntu did not introduce sudo.
>>
>> It's normal way to run commands as root.
>
> Maybe today.  However, "su" existed long before "sudo" and is the canonical
> way to execute commands as root.
>
> I don't use "su"; my root user account is locked and I use "sudo" exclusively,
> on Debian.  I used it on Gentoo first (not installed by default), then Debian
> (not installed by default), then Ubuntu (installed by default, but I still had
> to configure it), then openSUSE (not installed by default, and my root account
> can't be locked because my YaST don't know how to ask for root permissions via
> sudo).
>
> While calling the use of "sudo" an Ubuntu influence is jumping to conclusions,
> many "old-skool" UNIX and Linux users are surprised at the mention of "sudo"
> since they expect commands needing root to "simply" be executed at a root
> prompt.
>
> This is all off-topic anyway; it's not helping get skype installed.  IIRC, it
> should be available from either non-free or debian-multimedia repositories and
> installable via aptitude.

Since we are talking Ubuntu, this is **NOT** good practice, but if for
some reasons the static package from skype doesn't work for you, you can
grab the medibuntu x86-64 packages. They've been working fine here for ages.

Use Hardy packages if on Lenny, Jaunty on anything else.

http://packages.medibuntu.org/

I use "skype-common" and "skype-static" or "skype" packages, they both
work for me. On amd64 you'll need ia32libs and lib32nss-mdns.