Re: Why can't I install skype on debian?

In <[🔎] h8v7gk$d05$2@ger.gmane.org>, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>thveillon.debian wrote:
>> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>>>
>>> Ubuntu influence, I'd bet.
>>
>> It's offered as an install option, at least it was the last time I
>> installed from a testing netinstall image.
>> Of course Ubuntu did a neat job advertising sudo, it's spreading all
>> over (and it's great, it's a nice tool in a multiuser environment, just
>> doesn't make sens the way Ubuntu uses it...).
>
>guys ubuntu did not introduce sudo.
>
>It's normal way to run commands as root.

Maybe today.  However, "su" existed long before "sudo" and is the canonical
way to execute commands as root.

I don't use "su"; my root user account is locked and I use "sudo" exclusively,
on Debian.  I used it on Gentoo first (not installed by default), then Debian
(not installed by default), then Ubuntu (installed by default, but I still had
to configure it), then openSUSE (not installed by default, and my root account
can't be locked because my YaST don't know how to ask for root permissions via
sudo).

While calling the use of "sudo" an Ubuntu influence is jumping to conclusions,
many "old-skool" UNIX and Linux users are surprised at the mention of "sudo"
since they expect commands needing root to "simply" be executed at a root
prompt.

This is all off-topic anyway; it's not helping get skype installed.  IIRC, it
should be available from either non-free or debian-multimedia repositories and
installable via aptitude.