Re: Inconsistency with Debian 5 and adding printers

Bret Busby wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Wayne Topa wrote:

Bret Busby wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Florian Kriener wrote:

On Thursday 17 September 2009 06:31:36 Bret Busby wrote:
I have a Samsung CLP300 colour laser printer.

When I connected it to my laptop, in each of both Ubuntu 8.04 and
Debian 5, which was installed as a clean install, the printer was
automatically installed and set up (I didn't have to do anything - it
just appeared as an installed printer, ready to use).

Responsible for printing is CUPS. Please check if you have it installed
and all packages containing CUPS, that your other machine has installed.
You can get that list with `aptitude "~icups"`.

HIH,
Flo.

To see if you have all cups packages use
dpkg -l cups*

"
bret@bretnewworkstation:~$ dpkg -l cups*
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
bret@bretnewworkstation:~$

"

Have you used the interface to configure the printer?
ie   http://localhost:631

I do not understand - how can I configure the printer, if it is not able to be installed, and is therefore not installed?

You do have all of the required installed. Once that is done you have to use the cups interface to 'install' the printer.
http://localhost:631 is where you do the install.

I had a bit of work reconfiguring my printers when I switched to a USB to parallel port connection.

I believe that it is notsomuch an issue related to the USB aspect, as an issue of the inconsistecy betwen the upgrade and clean install versions of Debian 5, as the delinquent installation of Debian 5, quite happily accesses other USB devices, such as, as previously mentioned, the Samsung ML-2010 monochrome laser printer, which is also from the same manufacturer (or, at least, is "badged" as such), as the printer than I cannot install.

I mentioned my problem with the switch to USB as an example of what happened to 4 different printers that were working up until the time
I did the switch.

I got them reinstalled by doing the install using the cups installation at http://localhost:631.

I did not mean to imply that the usb switch was 'why' your printer is not installed.

Debian !=  Ubuntu != Debian

A number of issues are indicated here.

The first, is that the printer (the CLP-300) is properly detected, by both the two printer management utilities previously named, even if one of the printer management utilities does not show any of the colour laser printer drivers for the particular brand, as being available to install, whereas the other printer management utility does include two listed printer drivers as being available for the printer.

The second, is that the foomatic-gui printer manager utility, both detects the printer, and, indicates that two printer drivers are available for installation, then, as installing each of the printer drivers (one at a time, for each attempt) is selected, and, the process followed, to install the appropriate printer driver, foomatic-gui merrily pretends that it is successfully installing the appropriate printer driver, and thus, merrily pretends to add the printer, but, in fact, does nothing, and, hides that it has problems, with any error messages via a dialogue box, being conspicuous by their absence. Thus, the foomatic-gui printer management utility appears to be defective.

I don't use the foomatic-gui but I do not believe it 'Installs' the printer as you state. It probably does get a driver installed but you do not "print" with a driver until you get that driver to talk to the cups interface. Cups talks to the printer not foomatic.

The third issue, and, the one that (possibly) annoys me the most, is that the upgrade from Debian 4 to Debian 5, does not result in an installation of Debian 5, that is the same, and, that has the same functionality, as an clean install of Debian 5, thus indicating that, if we want to upgrade from Debian 4 to Debian 5, the only really successful way of doing it, is apparently to uninstall Debian 4 (involving the resultant loss of all system related data, and other data, including configuration files, etc), and to then do a clean install of Debian 5, thus meaning that an upgrade from Debian 4 to Debian 5, is not really possible, as an upgrade process.

Thus, Debian 5 appears to be not yet, quite "stable", but is rather, still in the "testing" stage. And, yes, this is a bit "testing".

Sorry I have never used the foomatic-gui to install any printers. I have, since cups came along, used the cups interface mentioned above.
Mainly because cups 'is' the printer interface.

I have cups talking to 4 printers on a newly upgraded etch-Lenny partition, and on Squeeze and Sid. I used the cups interface and it took no more then 10 minutes on each one.

I am not using the foomatic drivers with my laserjet 6P as I do not like the way it prints here. I selected another one, which I can't remember right now, because it does what I want done. The driver selection is part of the cups interface setup that you haven't done yet.

BTW  On My systems your printer is not listed as a selection.

HTH

I've given you as much help as I can.  Hope you get it working.

Wayne