Re: Starting MTA:

quail.linux@gmail.com wrote:
> If you just got a desktop or laptop setup you don't really need a mail
> server running. So removal is very simple all you have to do is:
> apt-get remove --purge at bsd-mailx exim4 exim4-base exim4-config
> exim4-daemon-light

I agree with Dale. On a laptop or a desktop, there may not even be any
mail sent. Check whether there is any mail in /var/spool/mail. My
netbook does not have any - for any user.

If you are unsure (given the other responses), you could run
update-rc.d -f exim remove
to stop exim from running without changing any of its settings.

If you decide to uninstall exim, see Dale's email.

I you decide to reset exim to its original init params, run
update-rc.d exim4 start 20 1 2 3 4 . stop 20 0 1 6 . (<-- note the period)