install problem

This is really an embarrassing question for an old Debian hand to
ask, but how do I install Debian?

I just bought a "netbook" which has no CDROM drive, but which can
boot from a USB stick. I could dd an Ubuntu image to the stick and
then boot from it. But I prefer just plain old Debian.

I found (through the Debian home page) an image called
debian-503-i386-netinst.iso. I dd'd it to the stick. But the
netbook does not boot from it.

There must be something very elementary which I did wrong. But what?

Regards, Jan