Re: [OT?] "5.7.1 relay access denied, please check the message recipient and try again."

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:43:07PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
[...]
> Sep 15 23:12:38 main postfix/smtpd[20633]: warning: SASL
> authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such
> file or directory
> Sep 15 23:12:38 main postfix/smtpd[20633]: warning: SASL
> authentication failure: Password verification failed
> Sep 15 23:12:38 main postfix/smtpd[20633]: warning:
> unknown[24.114.232.37]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: generic
> failure
>
> but i've verified that saslauthd is running.  so ... is there
> something trivially obvious that would have changed on the server side
> that could cause this?  i'll take everyone's word here that they
> haven't messed with their t-bird settings, so i'm looking at what on
> the server might have been tweaked.  thanks.

I'm no postfix expert, but I think there have been some new sasl
related packages lately, and just because saslauthd is running doesn't
mean it's been restarted since new packages may have been installed. I
would look to restart that and try again. Clearly, users are not
authenticating with the server and it is thus, rightly, denying
relay.

hth,