Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

  please don't top-post.

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Onur Aslan wrote:

> I suggest you to use low level tools, such as dd or cpio. After
> copying all files, install grub to your boot device, configure it
> and fstab (if your device order is different) and finish
> installation. This can be done without any pain.

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 07:21:52AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   i've mentioned this before, but by the end of this week, i want
> > to move my entire current (fully-updated) lenny install from an
> > old 32-bit system to a new 64-bit dell server, and i'm open to
> > advice on the easiest and most error-free way to do that.
> >
> >   i've already duplicated the software packages on the new server,
> > so what's left is to transfer over the remainder of the
> > configuration -- mail server, web server, user accounts, etc.
> > the whole ball of wax.
> >
> >   since both systems have webmin, someone suggested doing a webmin
> > backup on the old system, then just restoring it on the new one,
> > which makes a certain amount of sense as long as webmin can be
> > trusted to reproduce configuration info accurately.
> >
> >   i don't think this will be that difficult, but if there's a tool
> > to make this easier, i'm open to suggestions.  thanks.

  this doesn't really address my question.  "dd" would not be a good
choice as i already *have* the fundamental system set up in terms of
software.  all that's left is to copy over the additional
*configuration* and *data* represented by the old system, for which dd
would be a very bad choice, indeed.

  "cpio" is a better choice, but the decisions to be made there would
be *which* files and directories to copy to reproduce the old system
in its entirety as a mail server, web server, ftp server and so on.

rday

p.s.  i don't want to sound a bit short, but there seems to be an
annoying pattern on this mailing list that people don't actually
*read* the question i'm asking before attempting to answer it.

to recap, the new (64-bit) server has been installed with lenny
(5.0.3, in fact).  it's bootable, grub is fine, it's been set up with
LVM.  in short, it's a perfectly respectable and running 64-bit
system.  what i'm after are any potential tools that assist me in
migrating the config and data info from an existing (32-bit) server.
and since pretty much all the software is installed, the difference in
bit size shouldn't make a big difference in what's left to be
migrated, given that what's left is primarily data.