Re: why can't i use grub with an ext3 /boot partition?

On Sunday 13 September 2009 18:58:17 Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   ok, so let's move beyond anecdotes and get into conjecture -- does
> anyone know the debian installer well enough to know *what*
> circumstances will cause said installer to refuse to offer grub as a
> bootloader, and only present lilo?

  A potentially useful experiment is to try installing grub manually
on the partition, and see if it works, or if it doesn't, what errors
it reports.

  The installer may be suppressing error reports.  I believe you can
view the installation log during the install, from an alt console, but
I'm not 100% sure it's possible, and I certainly don't remember how.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net