Re: How to know the name of an ethernet interface.

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. escribió:
In <[🔎] 4AAEDFDD.1030702@cantv.net>, Juan Lavieri wrote:
But about the ifconfig -a command;   it only reports the interfaces
configured in the /etc/X11/interfaces file,

Nope. ifconfig -a lists all devices active in the kernel. The "-a" stands for "all" (as opposed to just the configured ones, which is the output of ifconfig without -a).

Also, /etc/X11/interfaces shouldn't exist or have anything to do with you networking. On Debian, the main file for network configuration is /etc/network/interfaces.
Hi Boyd.

You're right I meant etc/network/interfaces not /etc/X11 sorry, I had my head in another place :-)

Best

Juan