How to know the name of an ethernet interface.

Hi.

The past weekend I did change my motherboard. The new one has the ethernet interface integrated into it (no other card of this type is plugged)

My surprise is is because my squeeze was unable to bring uo this interface (eth0 didn't exists); Guessin I change it to eth2 and everything works.

My questio is: How can I know what name is asigned to a such a card? Is there any command? I'm looking on google and everybody sais etho is the first, eth1 the second and so on. I have only one and it's eth2, why?

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Juan