Re: eth0 and networkmanager

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 07:34:07PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 05:27:26PM -0700, Arthur Barlow wrote:
> > I understand that NetworkManager was designed as a tool for the woeful state
> > of wireless connections and linux, but I'm using a workstation with a
> > "hard-wired" connection and networkmanager cannot seem to manage it.  It
> > shows "ifupdown(eth0)" as being unmanaged, which I suppose is no big deal,
> > but it assumes that I'm not connected.  Therefore, whenever I launch
> > Epiphany it starts up "off line" as it assumes I'm not connected.  Is there
> > a simple fix for this?
>
> The prevailing wisdom on this list seems to be to remove network
> manager. It will take the gnome meta package with it, but other than
> that you shouild have no problems.

Yes true.  Please make sure to manually select all other packages
selected by the gnome meta package if you are using aptitude.

> or, I believe you can just remove any "allow hotplug" lines from
> /etc/network/interfaces to get a similar effect, but then, since
> network mangler won't be actually doing anything, what is the point in
> having it around?

Wait.  Once you remove "allow hotplug" lines, then NetworkManager will
be managing interface.  So do not remove it if you want to have network
connection.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_network_configuration_infrastructure
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_automatic_network_configuration

Osamu