eth0 and networkmanager

I understand that NetworkManager was designed as a tool for the woeful state of wireless connections and linux, but I'm using a workstation with a "hard-wired" connection and networkmanager cannot seem to manage it.  It shows "ifupdown(eth0)" as being unmanaged, which I suppose is no big deal, but it assumes that I'm not connected.  Therefore, whenever I launch Epiphany it starts up "off line" as it assumes I'm not connected.  Is there a simple fix for this?