Re: [Half OOT] The Cons of Using Self-Signed Certificate

Hi, Michelle:

On Friday 11 September 2009 11:03:05 Michelle Konzack wrote:
[...]

> For one of my enterprises I have installed my OWN  CA  and  on  the  160
> servers (apache, courier, and postgresql) I installed only certs  signed
> by my own CA.  So, I have now certs which I 100% can trust.

That's just half the equation and in the case of public services not even the
important half: you may be trusting your own certs, but are the ones that
will use them going to trust them as well?  A certificate in a server is not
meant to build trust on the owner of the server but on those that use the
server.

I.E.:  I'll trust this site is in fact Bank Of America because so says
Verisign.  Contrast it with "...because so says Michelle Konzack".

Ps: Did you manage to get your systems on-line?  It seems my previous email
was spooled at webmail.codefoundry.com.