Re: [OT] mount ... quiet

On 2009-09-11 01:23 +0200, Mike McClain wrote:

> This has nothing to do with Debian per se but my system is mostly Etch, so.
>
> man mount says:
>     quiet  Turn on the quiet flag.  Attempts to chown or chmod files do not
>         return errors, although they fail. Use with caution!

This is in the "Mount options for fat" section.  I don't know what will
happen if you use this option for better filesystems, but I suspect that
either there will be an error message, or it will be ignored.

> While I can see where this could have unpleasant repercussions when
> used on a 'nix partition, it seems to be called for on a MSDOS
> partition and I can see no repercussions.
>
> Am I missing something?

Actually, the chmod and chown calls do not report an error even if you
do _not_ use the quiet option.  They did in Linux 2.6.25, but it caused
a lot of grief in applications, so the kernel developers relaxed the
checks again in later versions.

Sven