Untangling print management with CUPS

This kind of rambles a little bit, as I'm trying to solve a few minor
issues involving print management.  I've noticed with using CUPS to
manage my printer, there's two unique things going on when it comes to
print job queueing.

1) Print jobs from Windows get sent to the remote CUPS server
immediately, as long as the remote queue is accepting jobs.

2) Print jobs from CUPS clients stay in the local queue on the client
until the CUPS server is ready for it.

I would like CUPS clients to act more like the Windows clients.  That
is, if the CUPS client isn't paused, attempt to send the whole job to
the remote queue (and if the remote queue isn't available, automatically
pause) and let the server worry about it exclusively.  I see this as
solving two problems for me:

1) I want to be able to come home from class, send queued jobs from my
laptop to my print server, and as soon as the local queue is empty, stop
it and take off back to campus while the print server is still working
on committing those jobs to paper.  My fiancee would also like to have
similar offline printing capabilities.

2) Centralize print management.  I would like to be able to stop the
printer while still accepting jobs on the server, and have CUPS clients
not complain that the printer is stopped.  Just send the print jobs and
let the server worry about it if it's still accepting jobs, I don't care
if the client is entirely unaware of the print job once it's sent to the
server.  Eventually, I'd like to set hourly restrictions on this (since
one of our printers is extremely loud, it would be nice to stop that
printer at 10PM and start it at 6AM while still accepting jobs for the
next day at night).

So how do I get (Debian) CUPS clients printing to a Debian CUPS server
send off jobs to the CUPS server and forget about it, like other print
spoolers?  Once it's sent to the remote system, I shouldn't need to be
tethered to the network.