Re: editing configurations

On Mon,07.Sep.09, 23:02:23, AG wrote:

> [1] I think that sudo is installed by default, so what you would
> need to do then is enter into a text-based terminal su (which will
> allow you to login as root) and then visudo .  This will open up a
> file for you to edit.  This is very straightforward - simply go to
> the line following the one reading root  ALL=(ALL), etc. and add
> your username and then the same text with the same spacing, etc as
> the line above it.  Once you've entered this, save and exit.  Then,
> whenever you want to edit your file, enter the line given above -
> i.e. sudo ...

1. Unless sudo is pulled by some DE it is NOT installed by default

2. I wouldn't suggest configuring sudo for someone entirely new to
Linux. 'su' works out-of-the-box and seems more apropiate for new users
(see below)

3. Maybe it's just me, but I find it completely counter intuitively to
give *your own* password when wanting to access the *root* account[1]
(especially in case of Debian, where you are asked for the root password
during install).

[1] Of, course it makes sense when you understand the purpose of sudo,
but it's definitely not the common practice when dealing with
user/password pairs in other areas.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)