Users and groups in Debian

Hi.

I was reading up on "Users and groups in Debian" and a friendly guy on
IRC pointed my to this document:

/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups

It is also found here online:

http://vmlinux.org/cgi-bin/dwww/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.html

Now, maybe its just me, but why haven't anyone with specific Debian
knowledge helped these dudes out and added the info which they for so
long has been asking for help about?

Someone from the Debian project: Please provide the necessary
information so that Debian users can have this document completet! A
lot of us actually don't know why we have these specific groups on our
system.

Like with the backup group: Please confirm or otherwise. And what
about the gnats group? What is it doing there?

Really this information should be available via the group man page.

Best regards.

Rico.