cisco vpnclient: not able to get shell output for more than a few lines

Hi,
I need to access a cisco vpn concentrator.

I tried using vpnc and keep getting a message
vpnc: response was invalid [1]:  (ISAKMP_N_INVALID_EXCHANGE_TYPE)(7)
which I cannot figure out the cause for.
any ideas on   how to handle that?

and so I am using the  proprietary cisco vpnclient which is pretty bad.
1. it wont work on my dual core  amd64 machine, it connects and freezes
2. while it does work on a regular single core amd64 machine, it does not work well.

If I do a command such as
ps aux
from a shell account, then i get only 2 lines of output and the shell freezes.

if i do
ps aux>outuput
then if I do
less output
i can see maybe 13 lines of output then it freezes.

if i do
emacs anyfillename it now also freezes
although yesterday it actually put me into an emacs
and i was able to edit.

any ideas?

Mitchell