libc6 upgrade problem

Hi,

I did just upgrade some packages (one of them is libc6) on a server running etch.

It seems (from what I can see in the backups of this server) that an old version of libc6 is lying in /usr/local/lib/tls (maybe a leftover from some previous install).

As a matter of fact, i'm unable to run any command (a simple ls will give the following output: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_starting_up, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

That's the output from apt-get after installing libc6

/usr/bin/dpkg: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_starting_up, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference sh: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_starting_up, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

Questions:
- If I reboot the server, will it simply discard the "bad" libc6 located in /usr/local/lib ?

- If I empty the file (echo "" > /usr/local/lib/tls/libc.so.6) will it be ignored by the system upon next reboot ?

- If nothing else can be done i'll have to have the server restarted with a live cd.

Thanks

Laurent