Emacs23 encoding

I am experiencing some irritating behaviour when using emacs23 with
LaTeX. This involves accented characters.

If I type the following word: "lêers" in my text it show up correctly
in the immediate buffer, but later (after a save of the buffer)
becomes  "lêers".

I have tried several options setting the encoding to iso-8599-1 or
latin-1 but with limited success.

So my question: What can I do to convince emacs23 to keep 'lêers'
'lêers'?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the
      night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with
      a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent
      heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall
      be burned up."                  II Peter 3:10