Re: insserv prereqs for network packages

On 2009-09-01 21:38 +0200, David Goodenough wrote:

> I notice that various networking packages (ssh, siproxd for two) do
> not depend on $network.  Should they?  I ask because I am getting odd
> errors when I start the machine, with things not starting properly.

Could you show a listing of /etc/rcS.d ?  Seeing /etc/rc2.d might also
be useful.

> I presume that having Require-Start: $network means that the network
> must have been started.

Yes.  Currently, sshd depends on $remotefs which itself depends on
(among others) mountnfs, and mountnfs has a "Should-Start:" on $network,
which means that it wants to start after ifupdown and networking.  I
assume that netbase and ifupdown are installed which provide these
scripts, so sshd should be started after $network already.

> Is this something that should be raised with insserv or should it be done
> package by package?

I suspect problems in the dependencies that should be resolved package
by package, but first I'd like to see your /etc/rcS.d directory.

Sven