Re: LVM on LUKS

...that's it:

/dev/sda1, ext2, /boot
/dev/vg/root, ext3, /
/dev/vg/swap, swap
/dev/vg/home, ext3, /home
/dev/vg/usr, ext3, /usr
/dev/vg/var, ext3, /var

where vg lvm sits on top of a cryptsetup-luks

the initramfs built from the d-icontains both scripts/crypt... and scripts/lvm (i don't recall perfectly filenames)

tho booting process falls in initramfs busybox shell after opening the luks device

i don't want to insert any time i boot my (laptop) machine the vgscan --mknodes && vgchange -ay, at minimum... and wait... 9 seconds... unitl then mount root!!! uuh, the fastest bootup in the world!

i'm trying to build a custom made initramfs in gentoo with a simple init
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 cdisk
vgscan --mknodes
vgchange --available y

but I WANT BACK MY DEBIAN!
please, help me: can i try to make an initramfs cpio arch in debian either? i'll need a custom kernel with all compiled-in except modules not need in the boot process?

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:30, PierPaolo <pierpaolo.franco@gmail.com> wrote:
sorry... GMail... isent that in pm... my fault

2009/9/1 Γιώργος Πάλλας <gpall@ccf.auth.gr>
PierPaolo wrote:

> so... it is... ubuntu better than debian??? pleease, no!
>
> it's all day long i'm trying to set up lvm2 on top of luks properly on
> a fresh installed debian/lenny. previously i had this done in
> kubuntu9, then i try gentoo (aaagh!),, then i return to my beloved
> debian, but...
>
> that's another machine, so i cannot post very much of mi findings, not
> too much at all however
>
> someone accomplished this task? or, is this possible right now in
> debian? do i have to sadly fallback on ubuntu?!
>
> i collected these bugs... am i on the right way?
>
> thanks, i appreciate very much your suggestions

do you use raid? a custom kernel maybe?
Like other people here, I installed debian amd64 with LUKS and lvm2 on
top without problem...