Re: Fast booting for a Debian system - and suggestions for said system

On Monday 31 August 2009 16:18:16 Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:59:08 +0100
>
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ***I would be very grateful for help in speeding up the boot process,
> > and suggestions for a suitable DE or WM.***
> >
> > TIA
> > Lisi
>
> I can't help with the boot process but, if he is used to Libranet Linux
> (!!! really?  How old is /that/?) then he might want to continue with
> IceWM as window manager.  It's in the repos.

He has fond memories of LIbranet 3.  It was able to use the Sarge
repositories, so he was able to run his Libranet system until security
updates for Sarge ended and I then moved him on to PCLOS.  I have never quite
been forgiven. :-(

He ran it on KDE, because I did, but I have to confess that it did boot a lot
faster.  Just recently I dragged a client kicking and sreaming off Libranet
3, and coming back to it after so long it really did seem fast.

But yes, I am also considering IceWM.

So long as it boots fast and I can give him his half a dozen icons, he doesn't
mind what the desktop is.  It is I who want it to be reasonably easy for me
to set that configuration up.  And I must be able to access everything else
on the system via the keyboard.  (Since there will only be the 6 or so icons
and I may need to run other things.)

Lisi