Re: First server with hot swappable capabilities...

On 2009-08-30 21:59, Ruben Varela wrote:
Yesterday I was configuring a PowerEdge T300 that, if I remember
correctly, has a PERC 6/i controller.
It allowed me to build with 4 250GB Sata drives, a Raid 5 array.

The server allows me to hot swap the drives.

I installed Lenny and configured everything how I wanted.

I was wondering,
in case something went amiss with one of the drives and I had to change it,
is there anything I have to do in the operating system before I went
and swapped the drive with the system running?
Or is it simply, pull the drive and replace it? O_o

Is the PERC handling the RAID, or is "md" doing the RAID?

If the PERC, then it is designed for hot swap, and also to use a hot spare. I'd just try it, i.e. before you put any irreplaceable data on it, yank out one of the drives and see what happens!

Also, since the server is being used to store some big files,
what would be the process to change the current 4 250GB drives to 4
larger drives and grow the partitions?

I know there are a couple questions here, I tried dividing them so if
someone knows to the answer to at least one, they can post it.

I haven't really found much about it searching the web,
I hope I do better here.

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!