Re: Network Manager cannot be removed

JoeHill ha scritto:
This is going to drive me nuts.

I've removed Network Manager in the past because it causes no end of trouble,
especially because it never seems to think I'm connected to the Internet, so
everything starts in 'offline' mode.

Major Gnome update today, and sure enough, Network Manager is installed again.
This time however, I cannot remove it without removing Gnome.

Can someone please tell me how I can permanently, and with great malice,
annihilate Network Manager once and for all?

aptitude why networkmanager
==> shows what packages force it to be installed

If by "Gnome" you ean "the 'gnome' package", no problem, remove it: it's just a fake package that pulls in all the packages that make up GNOME (the desktop environment), you'll be fine installing all those small packages by hand (if you're masochistic) or some not-so-huge metapackage (gnome-desktop-environment, gnome-session/whatever it is) that doesn't depend on network manager.

Good luck finding the right metapackage ;D