Re: dvd playback application

jeremy jozwik wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Aioanei Rares<debian.dev.list@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you try some Google search for, say, "dvd playback Debian", I'm sure your
>> problem will be solved in minutes. Hint : debian-multimedia.
>
> i thought that is the point of a mailing list. ask other people how
> they have fixed things.

It is.  Most mailing list communities, however, tend to dislike
answering the same questions repeatedly.  Thus their archives are
public, and posters are encouraged to search Google first.  Thus, if
your question has already been asked by someone else and answered
sufficiently, the human and computer bandwidth of answering it again can
be avoided.  Common problems are also often documented in wikis and
other web sites, which will also turn up in a search.

The result of a Google answer and a human answer will likely be similar:
a link to an existing resource.  Except that the human answer took
someone time to provide, and may be a re-creation of an already-existing
resource.  Thus the pushback against answering the same question again,
and the suggestion to go look for existing answers.  Most mailing list
FAQs and question-asking guides explicitly state that posters should try
to solve their problem with Google before posting to the list.

- Michael