Re: OpenVPN and Juniper

Hi !

Mark wrote:
Jerome BENOIT wrote:
Hello Mark,

Thanks for your remarks.

de nada

By Juniper I meant the Juniper VPN stuff (version 6.4.0):
I want to connect with my laptop from my home to my organization which
holds a Juniper VPN network via SSL.

I have never seen an successful implementation, although I wouldn't be
too surprised if there is somebody that did it. That said, I still don't
really understand why you would want to do such a thing.

Because I want to have access to some clusters inside my organisation
from home, and the only way (with respect to the rules of the organisation)
is to fist connect to the Juniper network.

I can with the Linux material furnished by Juniper
( http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~iwr91/juniper ),
but this material is not designed in a Linux way
(in partilcular it allows regular users to mess system wide network
configuration files).

That might be a bit of stretch to put it that way.. but, then again,
there is little information to go on regarding your setup.

The organisation have a Juniper network (a Windows oriented VPN network), and
I want to connect to the network: the material installed by Juniper is closed-source.

My current guess is that OpenVPN can do a far better job.

My update current guess is that OpenVPN can not work with Juniper,
and this is very unfortunate.

You might be right. Now, I'm going to assume there is a Juniper setup
out there that you want to use and that you have full control over it.

I have no control over it: Juniper is controlled by my organization,
and my organization imposes strict rules.
Oterhwise I will just use ssh.

That might be enough to setup some sort of an VPN up with that box at
your discretion, even if it's something totally different.
Putting up an box with OpenVPN next to the Jun would be even better,
although it results in a bit more effort to set it all up and to make it
work next/with the Jun.

I am ready to make some effort, in fact I thought to play with SSL SSH
(see -w option for ssh (OpenSSH)), but strict rules are imposed.

Take a route that you feel comfortable with, and see if you can put it
on paper before you start tweaking of playing around, it will be time consuming.

 ,Mark2

Jerome

--
Jerome BENOIT