Re: modifier keys stop working [second try]

[At the risk of being annoying, I am re-posting this question.]

I am repeatedly losing modifier-key function.

I run an up-to-date Lenny system and use the window manager fvwm (2.5.26-1)
so that I can mostly work from the command line.  I also have a virtual XP
machine (VM, VMware 1.06).

If I use the VM for a few minutes (usually Photoshop, sometimes Acrobat), I
find that SHIFT, CTRL, and ALT no longer modify what I enter in the Linux
window.  For example, CTRL-c, ALT-c, and SHIFT-c all just send `c'.  The
modulator keys all still function in the VMware window.  I have not
identified any particular sequence that causes the change.  Shutting down the
VM doesn't fix it.  Exiting fvwm and calling startx again does.  When I ran
"dumpkeys -l" in the healthy and diseased states, the outputs were identical.
In my previous build (Etch + fvwm 2.5.18-3 + VMware 1.0.4), I never had this
problem.

The questions ...

1. Any idea what causes this or how to prevent it?  I'm not optimistic here.
2. Can anyone suggest a command line that might restore the key functions so
   that I wouldn't have to shut down the window manager?
3. Finally, a fun puzzle (inspired by actual events).  If I have a window up
   with text I want to save before shutting down the windows, how can I do
   the save without modifier keys?  I can copy the text with the mouse, but
   then what?  Redirect (< > << |) needs the SHIFT key.  I can't terminate
   stdin with CTRL-d.  I'm hoping to do better than scrot + OCR.

Thanks.