Re: How to install a debian package without root on a non-Debian system?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2009-08-25 10:10, Peng Yu wrote:
Hi,

My system is RedHat. But I don't have root permission. But I want to
install a Debian package (for example, screen) in my home directory.
Can somebody let me know how to install such a package in my home
directory?

You can't.

Anyway, why install a *Debian* package, when you should be trying to install an RPM?

RedHat and Fedora may let you install foreign packages, but I expect you need to do some work to make it happen. For instance, Debian has the "alien" tool to convert RPMs to .deb. Even then, Debian users are not home and dry, because the install scripts may do dumb things trying to install a foreign package, and apt/aptitude/Synaptic (dpkg) may get confused.

It would be better to install from source, and GNU-style source can be installed by a regular user. It would not be part of the usual aggregation of packages, it would probably wind up in the /usr/local areas, or in your home hierarchy, according to the options you give to the ./configure script.

Mark Allums