apparently, lenny, apache 1.3 and php5 is a bad combination

  i was hoping to continue running apache 1.3 on my new lenny system,
just until i could make sure i had a clean upgrade path, then make the
switch to apache2.  but it seems like i won't have that option since
i'm running some apps (eg., horde) which now fails to make a mysql DB
connection, and that's because the php4-mysql package was removed to
make way for php5-mysql, but apache 1.3 currently has only php4
support.

  i did notice that there's a "libapache-mod-php5" package that is
supposed to add php5 support to apache1, but trying to install that
tells me that that package is "BROKEN", and that libapache-mod-php4
would be removed.  which doesn't do me much good.

  is there a way to just add php5 support to apache 1.3 so i can get
horde up and running again, or should i just bite the bullet and do
what it takes to switch to apache2?  (apache2 is currently on the
system, it's just not being started.)

  thoughts?

rday