Re: Installing Lenny

> I have vista 64 and fedora 10 installed  The bootloader is GRUB.  I am
> looking to install Lenny in place of fedora.  What would be the right
> way to approach it?

Not sure if this applies to Vista too (I assume it would), but I just set up a friend's computer to dual-boot XP/Debian in place of XP/Ubuntu.  To make that happen I erased the Ubuntu partition(s) and that took GRUB with it so upon trying to install Debian it didn't know XP was on the hard drive (since GRUB had replaced XP's bootloader and no longer existed).  After a bit of fiddling, I realized I needed to put the XP install CD in, go to "Recovery Console" mode and do two commands: "fixmbr" and "fixboot C:" - after this, Debian saw XP and added it to the GRUB bootloader menu during installation.

Don't know if I could have just edited /boot/grub/menu.lst manually or not, but the above method worked great.  As an added bonus XP passes the post screen in about 1/4 the time now, maybe the standard mbr installation isn't that efficient in XP?

Mark