Re: "Unable to perform shutdown" from Xfce

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Hello,
> The /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf that I have is an exact replica of
> the one that you attached. Unfortunately it is not enough to
> shutdown/reboot Xfce. I am looking for one similar to the one attached
> in this e-mail [1], but that is known to solve the issue.
> Liviu
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg641252.html

I don't think editing the default PolicyKit.conf should be necessary.

Are you starting Xfce with startx/startxfce4 from ~/.xinitrc or similar? If so,
make sure to start it with the ck-launch-session command.

For example, if your .xinitrc file currently contains

exec startxfce4

replace it with

ck-launch-session startxfce4

That way you get a ConsoleKit session and everything (Shutdown, suspend,
automount, etc) should work again.

(Alternatively, that thread you linked to suggested you can put "exec
startxfce4" in .xession, and then start with startx, and Debian will take care
of the ck stuff.)

If you are using GDM or KDM, then something else is wrong...

- Chris Burkhardt