Re: Wireless Adapter Card compatibility

Dne, 18. 08. 2009 19:03:35 je Mark napisal(a):
> After numerous Google searches I'm unable to arrive at a definitive
> answer/website so please send me a link if I've missed something
> (here's the
> best I've found so far: http://www.linux-drivers.org/,
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/).  My question is simple: I inherited an
> old
> (very old) laptop with no built-in wireless support so I need to
> purchase a
> wireless adapter.  Given the limitation of 2 usb ports but 1
> available
> CardBus slot I'd prefer to use a card-style adapter versus a usb-
> type.
>  I'm
> considering one of these two models but want to confirm they will
> play
> nicely with Debian Lenny before purchasing; does anyone have insight?
> Again, if I missed a link please point me to it.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WPC300N-Wireless-N-Notebook-Adapter/dp/
> B000VMT0YE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250613814&sr=8-4
> http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wrls-Notebook-Card-F5D7011/dp/
> B0002ED6IC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250614739&sr=1-6
>
> I realize the first link is N-compatible and the second is G-only.
> I'm only
> on G at home so N is not a requirement.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Steer clear from Belkin, they've always given Linux a cold shoulder. As
you know, running ndiswrapper isn't really a "solution".
There are some manufacturers, on the other hand, that do consider Linux
a valid operating system... I think it really shouldn't be a problem to
get a "ready for linux" card in the older 802.11g range. The newer
broadcoms
use the proprietary wl driver which will taint your installation. The
same goes for the majority of newer (802.11n) cards, I'm afraid. AFAIK
free
drivers
generally work with older chipsets, not with the most recent ones. The
older airgos/atheros/broadcoms should work just fine, so maybe you
should
consider buying a used card? Aptitude or Synaptic will tell you which
chipsets are supported natively in Debian, which ones need firmware
files, and so on.

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801