From: Jesús M. Navarro <jesus.navarro@undominio.net>
Date: 2009/8/18
Subject: Re: NIS woes.. Ubuntu nis client doesn't ping Debian nis Server
To: raman narasimhan <ramsn88@gmail.com>

Hi again, raman:

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 04:06:27 you wrote:
> *by login i mean that we can login to the Server from a client. Just like
> in Windows. Each client has his own home directory. >From the client system,
> when it provides that, it can logon to the SERVER.**

Sorry but I must say it doesn't make too much sense to me.  You can log into
Windows by means of the local graphic console (I know that's not the case),
opening a VNC/RDP session, by telnet...  you can even access protected
resources from a server without login (i.e.: mounting a protected shared
resource)...

Each client has his own home directory... you mean each user, don't you?

"From the client system, when it provides that"  What? the client system
provides the user's home directory?

"...it can logon to the server"  What?  The client system can logon to the
server, or is it the user from the client system?

Can you try something simpler like opening an ssh session from an Ubuntu
client system to the server using some user's credentials?

Open a console and type:
ssh user@server (where "user" is some user you know that can login from a
Debian client -whatever "login" means to you, and "server" is the name or,
better yet the IP address, of the server).  If everything goes OK you will be
propmted for the user's password and will start a session on that user's home
path.

> *
> *diabling ipv6*
> *http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/409*<http://www.debian-admin
>istration.org/articles/409>

You see on the comments to that article that such procedure doesn't always
work.  How did you test that IPv6 was in fact disabled?

Did you have a look at the Ubuntu clients' firewall?

--
RAMAN N