Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver (was Re: Laptop dv6650br is getting so warm)

On 8/17/09, Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I can not help you with that way of doing things, but I have had success
> running "aticonfig --initial", which creates an xorg.conf to work for a
> basic system.

Thank you, this helped (I already had the fglrx driver built). On
system boot X (and gdm) will start just fine. And on a first look the
GUI seems faster, glxgears reports 1500 fps, mplayer plays better and
the temp lower. I get a distinct issue, though.

Logging out of Xfce will stop X, but then gdm will fail to re-load X.
It will complain of some "ddm" module already built-in. Worse is that
then the kernel somewhat crashes, and will not react if I send a
halt/reboot command from a root terminal. It will say that  it sent
the signal, but the shutdown does not complete and the system hangs,
meaning that I have to resort to using the hard-halt via the power
button. Rebooting/Halting from Xfce works as expected (and it didn't
previously with the default drivers).

Any ideas on how to tackle these errors?
Liviu

debian-liv:/home/liviu# uname -a
Linux debian-liv 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jun 21 04:47:08 UTC 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux